Monday, April 11, 2011

Almost Finished

As my senior semester at the University of Northern Colorado is coming to an end, I am finishing up all the final assignments in my classes. All semester in JMC 410, I have followed and reported on a subject that I am really passionate about which is health care. An issue that has always caught my attention is the demand for medical workers, but how hard it is to get accepted into the schools. For the past year, I have worked extremely hard at completing the pre-req classes in order to apply to nursing schools throughout Colorado. It is such a competitive process based solely off of GPA and work experience. It’s been a stressful process with many doubts, but I am excited to say that on April 9, 2011 I received my nursing acceptance letter for Arapahoe Community College. Around 300 students applied and only 36-48 were accepted. Another issue nursing students face is passing the NCLEX, which is the statewide certification test. Some schools apparently don’t prepare students well enough for this exam. My biggest question is if there is such a demand for nurses, then why is it almost impossible to get accepted and through the programs?

1 comment: